Friday, February 25, 2011

You are Right!

   Last night I didn't sleep well; it's not an unusual phenomenon for me but as I was waking in the early hours and trying to go back to sleep I got the strangest feeling.  Something just didn't feel right; almost a "step back" in feeling from what I have been focusing on this week.  I did not like the uncomfortable feeling and it occurred to me that I might have had a thought to cause this feeling.  So I tried to figure out what thoughts I had had that would lead me to this awful feeling.  I have not  figured it out yet, but it taught me something:  Thought is powerful.  (and thank goodness I was able to get a few hours of really good sleep and woke up feeling great-maybe it was because I was somehow able to think "happy"!)
  
 Henry Ford stated, "Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, You are Right."
I first saw that quote several years ago at Curves and it really made an impact on me.   I wrote about the Principle of Thought the other day; how thought creates.  What we think, we create.  Our thoughts form our world; we turn those thoughts into beliefs when we repeat thoughts to ourselves and give it energy and feeling.  For instance:  Many of us (okay, I'm talking about myself *S*) have told ourselves for so long that we're not thin enough or fit enough that we really believe it.  That snowballs into reality when we believe it.  I am not an expert in any of this; this just has been my experience.  Negative thoughts and self-talk are nothing but destructive.  (By the way, I no longer think I need to be model thin!  Maybe it's because I'm 52 years old!*S*)
  
 I'd rather focus on the positive aspect because what I focus on is what will show up for me.   So; how do we keep it positive?  Because sometimes those negative thoughts creep in, and if we are not careful, our heads will be full of negative self-talk and our life will feel hopeless;   OR we will be such a "downer" to those around us that we will be alone alot. 
   
Several years ago I was trying to figure out how to change my thoughts from negative to positive in order to get positive results in my life; it seemed rather impossible for me to take a any negative or judgemental thought out of my mind.  I was feeling at a loss as how to do this when I came upon a website where I found my answer.  The website's author said to just "replace" the negative thought with one you'd rather have.  For some reason that resonated with me; while it seemed impossible to take the negative thought out of my head I could see how to put a thought over it!  It was one of those "lightbulb" moments for me!  (I love "ahas"!)  In my mind I could see the negative thought on a piece of paper and covering it with a positive one.  I am sure there are many different methods and ways to change or replace our negative thoughts with ones we'd rather have, but this one works for me and I have also been known to sing a song in my head to get rid of something I didn't like floating around in there. Whatever works for you is perfect. 
  
The point is that we need to be careful what we are thinking because we will make ourselves right everytime.





Add caption

2 comments:

  1. I wish someone would have taught me this when I was young so I could have grown up with the idea that I am in control of me. Sometimes though we don't like where we have driven ourselves and you want to say you made your bed so lay in it, or blame it on someone or something else. But the beauty is we can change it. We don't have to be stuck. I do feel a little lazy sometimes and think maybe I didn't want much for myself, but I think this is a skill to be learned. I still love, Life starts when you do. That statement makes me feel very powerful! I think it's time to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie,
    I wish I had known all of this at least by the time I was raising my children; I would have loved to have passed all of this to them in their growing years; maybe it's not too late; though. They still have time to learn as I am still learning.
    I love that statement as well; Life starts when you do! And you can change it!*S* Maybe you should start a blog?*S*

    ReplyDelete