Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Who Do We Portray Ourselves to Be?

Today I was watching one of the Oprah's Life Classes that I had on my DVR.  She made a statement something like, "People show you who they are".  She was talking mostly about potential dating and marriage partners in reference to how they treated their partners and spouses.  It made sense to me; if someone acts selfish; they are selfish.  When your partner abuses you in any way then he is abusive, etc....   (There is also the opposite of that as in your partner treats you nicely, unselfishly, etc....)  And her point is, "do we pay attention?" 

I've been thinking about this all day and in the context that you can't fix anyone.   In reality, the only person we can work on is ourselves and our actions toward others.   

While I was listening to Oprah, the thought occurred to me; how do I portray myself to others?  What am I showing others about myself that they see who I am.   I'm afraid that I have been guilty of showing myself as a procrastinator, maybe a little lazy at times, as well as maybe not always on the ball.  I know these qualities aren't horrible, but is it who I am really?  I hope not; I guess I need to pay attention to my actions and make some changes.  It's something to think about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment