Friday, February 3, 2012

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall


  Last night as I was laying in bed trying to go to sleep, the imagery from Snow White came to me (an analogy I obviously need) of the Wicked Queen looking into the magical mirror and asking, "Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?"  And of course the mirror answered that the Queen was; it's what the Queen wanted to hear and also what she saw.

Isn't that true in our lives as well?  As I attempt to lose some weight and look into the mirror, I am hoping to see a thinner face and I look intently at each side of my chin to see if there is less extra skin there than I want to see! (am I the only one who does this?).  If I look long enough, I see my face a little thinner and I like it.  (I'm not saying this is a healthy thing to do!)
We mirror what we think of ourselves to the world; what we believe and think about ourselves, as well as what we think about our situations in life.   What we believe, we see.

There are myriads of self-help books, talk shows with self-help gurus on with great advice and even inspirational stories, but in the end it is up to each of us to do it for ourselves.  So then, what can be our motivation to change our thoughts, our perceptions?  


 What if we don't like what we see being mirrored back to us?  What if we don't like the results of our thoughts and beliefs?We do have the power to change those thoughts because we are not victims; however, there are days  that seem almost impossible to change those thoughts. 

What we think we believe, what we believe, we see.

In  thinking about this; there really isn't any other way (at least that I can figure out) to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps other than "just doing it".  Any way that feels motivating, any action on our part that energizes us (an in my case, not matter the time of day because I am not an early morning person), any music that gets us moving, any pretending we have to do in order to move in a more positive direction ( in my humble opinion) is what works.  We just have to remember to do something, do anything other than just sit and mope or watch tv.  
                                                       

                              



No comments:

Post a Comment