Thursday, March 14, 2013

And This is Why We Practice

Today I am packing supposed to be packing for our trip to California to meet our newest baby granddaughter, Alice!  We leave early in the morning, but what I'd really love to do is to relax and write and read; you get the picture.  (are there professional packers who could just whip it all in a suitcase for me including carry-on?)

Yesterday I went back to my hair stylist for a fix to put more light golden blondes in my hair since the original appointment wasn't a big success on Monday.  Needless to say, my hair has more golds in it but it's not very light (did I say insane?).  I allowed that disappointment along with the disappointment in myself for the horrible eating I've done lately and then my husband did something that irritated me and then someone dropped by for an appointment that I wasn't expecting until tonight which I was going to cancel and by that time  I was so irritated!  I saw it all coming when I started feeling irritated after my appointment and I could have changed my thoughts to stop it, but I didn't.  (Sometimes I think I like to have that feeling; the payoff is me not having to do anything but relax all by myself)

I noticed, as I was having these feelings, that I haven't felt this way in a while or at least not nearly as often as I have had in the past.  That's a good thing.

This morning in my junk folder was another one of Danielle LaPorte's articles:  
You will be called on to expand.  And this is why we practice.
It's a great article, and I'd like to share just a small part of it.

"You don't need to forgive until you need to forgive.   You don't need nerves of steel until you need nerves of steel.   You don't need to call on your reserves of compassion , or fortitude, or faith until you've used up everything else."  This is why we practice.  This why, that even when life is ambling along nicely and there's food in our spiritual cupboard, we still make sure that we get to yoga, or the reading group, or Sunday services.  When we're healthy and happy we make sure to dance, we hit the court, we pick up the phone to check in, we drop by with something in hand......Because the day will most certainly come, as it does whether you are a whole-hearted lover or in denial of grace, that you will be struck down or ground down by life.  It can come in tiny tearing heartbreaks five times a day, just walking through your neighbourhood.  It could come in the name of tragedy that could only happen once in a lifetime.  And you will need to withdraw the insights that you put into your heart's escrow."

As I have thought about how I have improved lately (not perfect but better) I think I've been practicing.  Practicing my thoughts, focusing on tasks at hand and focusing on being happy.  I have not had anything horrible happen in order for me to really show what I've been practicing, and I am grateful for that.  My small irritants are hopefully helping me practice for larger events that hopefully will never come, but this is life and none of us escape unscathed. I will keep in mind my failed practice yesterday and hopefully be better at staying in charge of my thoughts and feelings as I have experiences that could throw me off course.

So today, let's all practice thinking good thoughts and being present in our day along with feeling some gratitude for whatever our circumstances are.

You will be interrupted.
You will be called on to expand.
You will be asked who you are and why you are here.

This is why we practice.

Will we be ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment