Friday, March 1, 2013

Happy Fridays

I think I"d like to start blogging each Friday on Happiness; what better day of the week to talk about ways to be happy?  The week is over, the weekend is coming and we all could use a little rejuvenation!  And, Dennis Prager hosts the Happiness Hour each Friday morning with lots of good subjects and ideas.

This morning he began his talk radio program with the thought, When you act happy, you feel happy.   At first thought, it's sometimes difficult to think you can act happy when you're not feeling it, but it really is the other way around.  Our thoughts and words are powerful.

In my part-time job of merchandising Hallmark cards at the Safeways in town (soon to be over with, with the "real" merchandiser taking her stores back after recovering from hand surgery) there's a guy, probably in his 30's, who is the ICC Clerk.  I've never seen him not smiling, and when I ask him, 'how are you?", his answer is, "perfect".  I'll bet he feels perfect!

On the other hand, I have a dear friend who swims everyday and encounters people who are overweight and talks to her about it.  Their words, which obviously begin with their thoughts, are, "we'll never be able to lose weight", "it's too hard".  If they're thinking that and saying that, they're right.  What's the quote by Henry Ford?  It goes something like, "If you think you can or think you can't, you're right."

I have to admit that even knowing this information and knowing it for quite a few years now, some days feel more difficult than others to act happy.  On those days, I can check my thoughts (because I know my thoughts and words determine how I act).

I am sure that I've blogged about this subject before, but it's an important one to know how our thoughts and words affect us as well as those around us.  "It is our moral obligation to be happy (and act happy)"---Dennis Prager.


So on this happy Friday, I am  at my son's home babysitting our twin granddaughters.  What better way to spend my time, right?

Oh, and to report on my "Waiting" blog post: we now have a beautiful new, baby granddaughter, Alice Claren who was born yesterday morning at 6:00am weighing 8 lbs. 9oz. and 20 1/2 inches long.

Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment