Monday, April 16, 2012

N is for Nothing, Really?

A few days ago I was talking to my Daughter-in-Law about an N word and she mentioned how funny it would be to post nothing.  I laughed and thought that would be funny, but I've been thinking about nothing since we talked about that.

Is there really such a thing as nothing?  When my husband asks me what I'm thinking I'll usually answer," nothing".  When I'm upset with him but don't say that I am and he asks, lots of times I'll answer, "nothing" when I'm really thinking something and really upset about something.

Funny, how many thoughts I've had about the topic of nothing!  Maybe it's like when someone tells you not to think of an elephant and immediately an elephant comes to your mind?  Except that when someone tells me to think of nothing then all kinds of things pop into my mind.  Even when someone asks me what I'm doing, and I'm just sitting and watching television, my reply will be "nothing".   (Does the term, nothing, actually mean that one isn't doing anything important?) 

So, what's that about anyway?  Even to meditate, I was told to think of one thing that was near me.   Is it even possible to think of nothing?  Maybe when I sleep I don't think, but I'm still doing something when I'm sleeping - I'm sleeping!  

This was certainly not a serious topic, but I think it was deep.  What do you think about when you think of nothing?  What do you do when you do nothing?  Maybe when we die we could say we do nothing, but I don't even believe that! 

 

1 comment:

  1. I do nothing for the fun! For me, nothing consist of reading, watching TV, and chillaxing. lol
    Great post!

    Eat Live Move: Intuitive Eating from A to Z

    ReplyDelete