Friday, March 11, 2011

The Easy Button

Staples(the office supply store) makes a big red button they call "the Easy Button".  When you push the button it says in a man's enthusiastic voice, "that was easy!".  I bought one about 3 years ago because I do like humor (think I've mentioned that before).   I have it sitting on the counter in my kitchen next to my phone and I pass by it all day long.

When I have a difficult task to complete (or a task that I just don't want to to) I love to "hit" the easy button as I pass by.  It puts a smile on my face and makes whatever I did a little "easier" if not only in my mind. (aren't most of our "motivations" mental?)

In fact, about a year and a half ago I was watching the daughter of one of my friends and she needed to do a science project for the next day at school.  Now, I'm not a science person nor did my children do any kind of "science projects" that I can remember or at least they weren't anything really complicated.  This darling girl wanted to make a volcano!  I had no idea how to go about it and even in looking up instructions on the internet I was feeling very overwhelmed and a little panicked!  (just thinking about it right now gives me a little anxiety!*S*)

I was "whining" to this 5th grader and telling her that I couldn't do it (pathetic, huh?*S*) when she all of a sudden hit the easy button that was sitting on my desk!  Well, we laughed so hard and we made the volcano, and if I say so myself, it looked pretty good and it even worked!

So today, I've been struggling a little bit, feeling a few little setbacks and not quite understanding when with all my "trying" that I still allow things to affect me (and actually feeling a little sorry for myself).  I'm having to do some cleaning and for motivation I play my "workout" music loudly and as I was passing through my kitchen saw that little "easy button" and thought, "why not?"  So I hit it and I hit it hard!*S*    (and then a smile came across my face and everything felt "easy"!)

                                                                              
                                                                                  

What is your motivation and how do you carry on even when you don't feel like it?

  "You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you're sitting on your butt.  And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time?"----Bob Moawad 

No comments:

Post a Comment