Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday Musings

I really missed "blogging" yesterday because I did have lots of thoughts, but it was such a busy day and not being able to blog was the result of me not getting up earlier and setting my priorities straight.  Yesterday I helped a dear friend (well, she's the age of my kids so I also think of her as "another daughter") and her family move from our small town to an even smaller town.  It's about a 20 minute drive from here and I made 3 separate trips back & forth taking small items that would fit in my car.  Last night her daughter, who is 12, spent the night with us and I drove her back late morning.

Walla Walla is a farming community (among the vineyards) and although there are things I dislike about it, during the Springtime the farmland is beautiful.  The wheat on the hills is green and with clouds in the blue sky it is breathtaking!  I had been getting a little "panicky" this morning not knowing what I needed to be Thought"full" about today until I was making the drive home through the green winding hills.

I chose the word "musings" today because the scenery that I passed through on my way home this morning was my muse for today.   The one thought going through my mind as I was driving (and taking photos ) was "gratitude".    We have been so blessed with this beautiful earth and everything on it; how can anyone look around and not notice his or her surroundings?  Even in the city, beauty can be seen. 

My thoughts now turn to, "what am I doing to show my gratitude to my Heavenly Father for all that I have?"  This morning I was doing a little reading in the book, Spiritual Roots of Human Relations written by Stephen R. Covey.  It is a wonderful book and when my children were all at home I remember reading this book daily (the blue and yellow highlightings on the pages remind me that I loved this book).  Anyway there was a chapter (I can't find it now to give you the name of the chapter) where Mr. Covey was talking about wasting time watching television and watching others' lives when we could be living our own.  The more I am trying to find parts of me to give up, to willingly have my heart changed by my Savior, Jesus Christ, the more I am seeing more "blocks" of my days as wasted.  How is that showing gratitude for my life?  

Last night we watched a small part of a movie titled, Switch,  and there was a scene in which the female character shared a quote she had gotten off a self-help infomercial, "Life is in session."  (I love finding truth almost everywhere!)  That is so true; everyday is our life; it isn't waiting to start; it's been happening since we were born!  The trick, at least for me, is each morning seeing what I will do with it that very day.  And even in my life that I love to live "spontaneously" there has to be some semblance of planning or else I will miss out on some of the things I want and need to experience in order for real growth to occur.  

"It is good to have an end to journey towards-but it is the journey that matters, in the end."
                                                                                      -----Ursula K. Leguin



                   Some of the beautiful scenery that I drove through this late morning:
                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment