Thursday, October 20, 2011

Serenity

                         "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                                   Courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom
                                                        to know the difference."

Today I watched a little bit of Oprah's Lifeclass which is a show on the OWN channel.  I'm not an avid Oprah fan, but I really enjoy this show.  It's lessons learned by some of Oprah's past guests as well as some that Oprah has learned. 

 Today Paula Dean was on and spoke of the day she was able to take reponsibility for her life; it was the day (and she thought of the Serenity Prayer often) that the words, "accept the things I cannot change" really sunk in.  After realizing there were some things she could never change, she was able to take responsibility for her own life and move forward. 

 To accept the things I cannot change is to actually "let go" and move on from there.  It releases one from the responsibility of holding on to circumstances out of one's control.  It's a "big" thought and one to grab hold of.   It all goes back to my original premise of starting this blog; it really only matters what we think and do, not what others around us do. 

                      "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                                Courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom
                                                    to know the difference."

No comments:

Post a Comment