Monday, October 31, 2011

Enjoy This Moment

 I love this quote, "Enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life."  I don't know who said it or where I even saw it the first time, but it stuck in my head.

Today I had a hair appointment (it's been too long since I've had it done) and while I was laying my head back in the sink having the three color dyes washed out of my hair this quote came into my mind.  The hairstylist was massaging my head (my favorite part of the whole process!), but instead of just enjoying the moment I was wondering how long she would keep massaging.  That's when the thought came into my head, "enjoy this moment".  I was wasting precious minutes of such wonderful relaxation thinking of what was coming next instead of "just being" in the moment. 

For the rest of the day I have kept the thought in my head to enjoy each moment.  I came home from my hair appointment and worked out (I crazily made a 9:00am appointment which left me no time to have my "morning") and made myself "enjoy" just being in my basement without worrying about the time, I enjoyed each moment of taking a shower and blow-drying my newly cut and foiled hair, as I went to the grocery store I "tried" to enjoy that moment, and then I enjoyed several minutes of taking some gorgeous photos of the beautiful Halloween afternoon.  Some moments are easily enjoyed, but even in those, are we really enjoying the moment or are we planning what's coming next? 

I remember one of my friends telling me that she had read in a book, "to enjoy it all"; even enjoying the time we spend washing the dishes or doing the mundane tasks.  The trick is to just "be" in each moment without rushing through it because in reality, this is our life.

This Halloween evening, I am enjoying the candlelight flickering through a few rooms of my home with the Turner Classic Movie station on in the background, and while I finish cooking my traditional meatloaf for dinner (I don't know why meatloaf has become my Halloween traditional meal, but somehow it has!) I will enjoy it all because someday it will be my last moment and what a waste if I hadn't enjoyed it all.

My afternoon drive snapping photos:





No comments:

Post a Comment