Tuesday, October 18, 2011

How's Your Mood Working for You?

                                                                


                                                                                                              Do you think that it's possible to be as happy as this sign suggests you do?   The idea that we are responsible for our happiness can be a little daunting when we are used to reacting instead of being proactive.                                                                                                                                                                                                             I remember when I learned that truth; I had to take a hard look at the depression I had dealt with for such a long time and frankly, I wish I hadn't have used that time of my life to not be happy most of the time.  I did; however, learn many lessons from that period of my life.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I like to listen to Dennis Prager's "Happiness Hour" on AM radio   Friday mornings at 10:00am.   He says  that it's our moral obligation to be happy.  Last Friday the radio show dealt with "What makes you happy?".  He talked about doing things that make you happy.  Now, everything we do isn't always "fun" (for instance, I dislike cleaning the bathrooms; however,  when I am finished I have a feeling of satisfaction and happiness that my bathrooms are clean), but the end result can be happiness.  Dennis Prager suggested that before doing certain activities, we ask ourselves, "will this make me happy"?   I think that's a great idea! 
  As I was listening to the "Happiness Hour" I thought about creating a "Happiness Journal" for myself.  It would be similar to a "Gratitude Journal" except that I would list things that made me happy throughout the day; choices that I had made or activities I had done that created the feeling of happiness for me (and hopefully those around me).   It will be my new experiment, and I suggest that as I am consciously making choices that I know will result in happiness I will change some of my choices. (just thinking about that gives me a feeling of hope and happiness)

   
 

       

 

No comments:

Post a Comment